Last modified: August 09, 2017
There are many different ways you can use our services – to search for and share information, to communicate with other people or to create new content. When you share information with us, for example by creating a Vaxini Account during the mobile app installation and use, we can make those services even better – to show you more relevant search results and new vaccines, clinical trials in several phases, side-effects, etc., to help you connect with people or to make sharing with others quicker and easier. As you use our services, we want you to be clear how we’re using information and the ways in which you can protect your privacy.
Information we collect
With respect to the collection, use and disclosure of personal data Vaxini complies with applicable German and European law. We collect information to provide better services to all of our users – from figuring out basic stuff like which language you speak, to more complex things like epidemic data in your location, appropriate vaccination schedules, and vaccine information relevant to you and your family group.
We collect information in the following ways:
- Information you give us. For example, many of our services require you to sign up for a Vaxini Account. When you do, we’ll ask for personal information, like your name, email address or telephone number to store with your account. If you want to take full advantage of the sharing features we offer, we might also ask you to create a publicly visible Vaxini Profile, which may include your name and photo.
- Information we get from your use of our services. We collect information about the services that you use and how you use them. This information includes:
- Device information: we collect device-specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number). Vaxini may associate your device identifiers or phone number with your Vaxini Account.
- Log information: when you use our services or view content provided by Vaxini, we automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This includes:
details of how you used our service, such as:
- your search queries
- telephony log information like your phone number
- Internet protocol address
- device event information such as crashes, system activity, app version, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL.
- cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your Vaxini Account.
- Location information: When you use Vaxini services, we may collect and process information about your actual location. We use various technologies to determine location, including IP address, GPS, and other sensors that may, for example, provide Vaxini with information on nearby devices, Wi-Fi access points and cell towers.
- Account information: when you install Vaxini, you can decide which account to associate with your Vaxini account from the list of email accounts installed in your device. We recommend this because:
- Vaxini associates your personal data and vaccination records to one email account profile.
- whenever Vaxini is installed on your device, the cellphone user will have visibility on your vaccination records. Vaxini wants to ensure that the access to your data is traceable.
- from time to time we can ask you to provide us with an alternative email address. Very often people don’t remember which account they used to subscribe to Vaxini, so this information is needed to help you recover your account in case you don’t have access to the email account you subscribed with anymore.
- you are allowed to change the email address associated with your Vaxini records. As a security measure and in order to avoid your vaccination records to be stolen, Vaxini checks against these accounts to prevent misuse and suspicious actions, so that prevention mechanisms are triggered.
- Vaxini allows only one multi-user account per subscriber. In order to detect multiple accounts, Vaxini checks device identifiers to prevent account duplication and degradation of the quality of your valuable vaccination records.
- Unique application numbers
Certain services include a unique application number. This number and information about your installation (for example, the operating system type and application version number) may be sent to Vaxini when you install or uninstall that service or when that service periodically contacts our servers, such as for automatic updates or news service.
- Local storage: We may collect and store information (including personal information) locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches.
- Cookies and similar technologies: We and our technology partners use various technologies to collect and store information when you visit a Vaxini service, and this may include using cookies or similar technologies to identify your browser or device. We also use these technologies to collect and store information when you interact with services we offer to our partners, such as Vaxini features that may appear on other sites. Vaxini uses Google Analytics to help analyze the traffic to websites and apps.
Information we collect when you are signed in to Vaxini, in addition to information we obtain about you from partners and public data sources, may be associated with your Vaxini Account. When information is associated with your Vaxini Account, we treat it as personal data.
The information you provide about yourself and your family may be shared with the Vaxini community, pharma product developers and manufacturers, technology and scientific partners, and others. In all cases, your data will be anonymized and reported in an aggregated way, so that your privacy is protected. The data collected about your vaccination and health profile may include but is not limited to the following:
- Biographical information
- Vaccination records, including immunizational product, batch number, vaccination center, physician, body part, vaccine funding, adverse reactions, etc.
- Condition/disease information
- Symptom information
- Primary and secondary outcome scores over time, mood evolution, quality of life, pain, weight, etc.
- Sensor information
- Laboratory results and biomarkers
- Genetic information
- Individual and aggregated survey responses
- Information shared via free text fields
- Connections to other people on the website or on the mobile app.
Additionally, we might occasionally invite you to surveys, and Vaxini will collect and store specific information to explore a certain scientific field through targeted questionnaires that you may opt-in to respond.
How we use information we collect
We use the information we collect from all of our services to provide, maintain, protect and improve them, to develop new ones, and to protect Vaxini and our users. We also use this information to offer you tailored content – like suggesting relevant vaccines for your age group, your area, clinical trials, new health products, etc. We may share this information with third parties, including, but not limited to, pharmaceutical companies, medical devices companies, biotechnology companies, non-profits, and research organizations and academic institutions Vaxini may partner with.
We may use the name you provide for your Vaxini Profile across all of the services we offer that require a Vaxini Account. In addition, we may replace past names associated with your Vaxini Account so that you are represented consistently across all our services. If other users already have your email, or other information that identifies you, we may show them your publicly visible Vaxini Profile information, such as your name and photo. We may enhance and correct the vaccination data you give us to provide you with more accurate and comprehensive data about your immunization.
If you have a Vaxini Account, we may display your Profile name, Profile photo, and actions you take on Vaxini or on third-party applications connected to your Vaxini Account in our services. We will respect the choices you make to limit sharing or visibility settings in your Vaxini Account.
When you install the mobile app or contact Vaxini, we keep a record of your communication to help solve any issues you might be facing. We may use your email address to inform you about our services, such as letting you know about upcoming changes or improvements. We can also periodically remind you to open the application via email, so that we positively know you are interested in keeping the data you have stored in our private immunization registry.
We use information collected from cookies and other technologies, like pixel tags, to improve your user experience and the overall quality of our services. Some of the products we use to do this on our own services is Google Analytics, Yandex Metrica, Piwik, Addthis and Newrelic. For example, by saving your language preferences, we’ll be able to have our services appear in the language you prefer.
We may combine personal information from one service with information, including personal information, from other Vaxini services – for example to make it easier to share things with people you know.
We will ask for your consent before using information for a purpose other than those that are set out in this data use disclosure.
Vaxini processes personal information on our servers in Germany, but some third party providers like those mentioned above may process data in many countries around the world. Therefore we may indirectly process your personal information on a server located outside Germany or the country where you live.